The post holder will be responsible for the day-to-day supervision of the Grounds section. Organising staff and their work tasks, ensuring staff follow health & safety legislation and policies and adhere to it. Upkeep of the grounds machinery and equipment to ensure a high standard of operator usage and maintenance is carried out. Maintenance of the historic parkland, sports fields and campus building environs to the agreed standards laid down by the Grounds Manager.
The Grounds Section maintains grounds across 3 campuses, which includes 230 acres at our Colchester campus. This Colchester campus contains 30 acres of sport pitches, nearly 3,000 notable trees and historic parkland, parts of which are Grade II Listed. An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Deputy Grounds Manager to join the Estate Management team at the University of Essex.
Duties of the Post:
1. Leading, supervising, and motivating a team of Grounds staff to ensure that agreed standards of grounds maintenance are maintained.
2. Scheduling and allocating day to day work to the Grounds Team.
3. Planning and executing grounds maintenance to produce a high quality ecologically balanced environment.
4. Monitoring the quality of grounds work done and co-ordinating systematic checks by the post holder and the Grounds Manager.
5. Liaise with the Grounds Manager to ensure that all staff have completed the necessary training programmes to be able to complete their role.
6. Ensure all team meetings and staff reviews are completed and report any details to the Grounds Manager
7. Ensure Grounds staff are fit to work after periods of sickness absence.
8. Work alongside any new staff that are recruited by the section until they are fully trained, and ensure they complete their induction package during their first week.
9. Controlling the programmed and un-programmed contracted works managed by the Grounds Section.
Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by Director of Estates and Campus Services or their nominee.
These duties are a guide to the work that the post holder will initially be required to undertake. They may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances.
Terms of Appointment:
For a full description of the terms of appointment for this post please visit our website here.
Informal enquiries may be made to Mick Minshull Grounds Manager (telephone: 07769613860 e-mail: email@example.com). However, all applications must be made online.
Full time, Permanent
38 hours per week
£32,297.00 per annum