Colston’s is a thriving co-educational day school on the outskirts of Bristol that has a tradition of helping individuals and teams reach the highest levels of sporting achievement whilst encouraging participation and competition at all levels of ability. Easily accessible from the motorway network with approximately 750 students aged from 3 to 18. The Upper School occupies a glorious thirtytwo acre campus and has all of its facilities on-site.
Reporting to the Head of Grounds, the Grounds person will assist in the daily delivery of general grounds care and external area maintenance at the 32-acre site at Colston’s School, Stapleton, Bristol. The role focuses more on the maintenance and development of the school’s grass and artificial sports pitches, but the person will also assist with maintenance of the gardens.
The role requires independent and team working in order to provide the following: gardens and grounds in good and safe condition; natural and artificial sports pitches to a high standard throughout the year; maintenance of the equipment necessary to deliver these services.
To apply professional skills and commitment to ensure that the school grounds and outdoor equipment are maintained in accordance with health and safety requirements
- Undertake routine preparation and maintenance of a range of sports and amenity surfaces as detailed on work schedules
- Assist with routine care of all designated gardens, grounds and external areas, ensuring tasks are conducted in a timely, efficient and effective manner
- Assist with the development and improvement of existing or new garden areas
- Undertake preparatory and cultivation work to maintain safe, quality playing surfaces
- Set up sports pitches and amenity surfaces
- Undertake minor construction and landscaping work
- Ensure standards of work are maintained and tasks completed
- Ensure vehicles and equipment are regularly maintained in accordance with routine operating requirements
- Participate in continuous professional development, attending training courses as necessary in support of the role and responsibilities.
- Have a working knowledge of the Health and Safety regulations in the area of responsibility; Promote and adhere to safe working practices at all times.
- Ensure that all tasks are carried out while wearing uniform and the correct PPE
- Support the efficient use of resources and make suggestions for improvement
- Preparing sports pitches (Cricket, Rounder’s, Athletics, Rugby, Tennis & Hockey) for fixtures and practice, including after care
- Experience in renovating a variety of sports pitches
- Soil cultivation, digging, forking, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, edging, pruning, bed preparation and planting
- Lawn maintenance and cultivation
- The use and maintenance of hand tools and basic light machinery
- The use of cylinder and rotary mowers, strimmer’s, leaf blowers
- Adjustments of cylinder mower height and quality of cut. Oil level checks and checks for damage to any mower
- Ensuring all equipment, machinery and buildings are secure
- Keeping the tool shed/equipment room clean and tidy
- Keeping the borders, thoroughfares and highway footpaths clear and free from litter at all times
- Emptying litter bins around the school
- Responding to emergency calls
- Erecting and dismantling sports equipment
- Carrying out the initial marking and over marking of the sport pitches, running tracks, field events
- Carrying out car parking duties as required
- Ensure the school is safe during adverse weather, including gritting site-specific areas, clearing snow and salt spreading before the arrival of staff and pupils and continuous monitoring of routes during the day.
- The ability to work unsupervised
- To promote the safeguarding and welfare of children and young persons for whom they are responsible or come into contact with;
- To be supportive of and committed to the School’s policies on Child Protection;
- To be supportive of the School’s policies on Equal Opportunities;
- To be mindful of their personal responsibilities relating to Safety, Health and the Environment;
- To be mindful of the need to treat all sensitive information relating to pupils, fellow employees and the business of the School as confidential;
- To be accepting of the need to follow all other School policies and procedures as appropriate and relevant to their post.
This role profile is not exhaustive; it will be subject to periodic review and may be amended to meet the needs of the business. The post holder will be expected to participate in this process and the Head of Grounds would aim to reach agreement to the changes.
The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Relevant experience an/or qualifications in grounds maintenance and or sports turf qualifications
Good knowledge of Health and Safety including the correct use of personal protective equipment
Basic IT skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
Physically fit and be able to lift and carry light items of equipment, climb ladders and work at height.
Able to use and maintain grounds maintenance plant and machinery
Good written and verbal communication skills
Proven ability to respond positively to a pressurised environment and adopt a positive approach to problem solving.
Ability to work as a team or on their own.
Good organisational skills
Inter-personal skills for communicating with staff and contractors
Hold a valid full driving licence
Experience in a school or academic environment
Formal Health & Safety training to an intermediate standard, e.g. “Safety at Work” or CSCS
Training in use of chainsaw
Training and experience in herbicide application and weed control
Process to apply:
Please complete the attached application form and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
24 hours per week, 7:30am till 4:30pm. Working days to be agreed at interview.
Monday, 2 November 2020 - 12:00pm
Thursday, 5 November 2020
£24,000 pro rata
South West England