The GMA Industry Awards return this year with the celebratory dinner taking place at The Vox, NEC Birmingham, on the evening of Wednesday 2 November (during SALTEX).
This year's GMA Industry Awards features an expanded list of new categories, a full list and description of which can be found below.
To nominate someone for an award, complete and submit an award nomination form
The awards are judged taking into account the 12 months prior to the award category application submission date
1. Origin Amenity Solutions Young Grounds Person of the Year - Young grounds staff are the future of the industry. This award is open to any grounds person who is aged 25 years or under at the time of submitting their application.
Applicants must have undertaken training or qualifications within the past 7 years
CAN BE COMPLETED WITH THE ASSISTANCE OF AN EMPLOYER OR MANAGER
2. Newcomer of the Year – An individual award open to any individual who entered into the groundscare industry within the past 3 years. This award is open to any professionals and volunteers working at a sporting venue and recognises the progress made by the individual. This award considers the progress achieved with the available resources.
CAN BE COMPLETED WITH THE ASSISTANCE OF AN EMPLOYER OR MANAGER
3. Kubota UK & Redexim Volunteer Sports Grounds Team/Individual of the Year – Open to teams or individuals who are often unsung heroes, this award recognises the valuable work of volunteers, who devote their spare time to maintaining our playing surfaces. This award considers the quality achieved with the available resources.
4. Community Sports Grounds Team/Individual of the Year - This award is applicable to the grassroots/recreational sports club and is open to both teams and individuals – with members of the grounds team or individual being full-time, part-time, or a volunteer. This award considers the quality achieved with the available resources.
5. Bowls / Croquet Grounds Team/Individual of the Year - This category highlights the best in fine turf management at bowling greens and croquet lawns across the UK. This award is open for both volunteers and paid professionals and considers the quality achieved with the available resources.
6. Best Managed Artificial Surface of the Year - For those who apply essential maintenance work to effectively manage a non-turf/artificial grass pitch surface to enable frequency of use and to the desired standard. This includes third generation, sand-filled and water-based surfaces across any sport.
7. Best Environmental and Sustainability Impact - A team or individual award for those who are undertaking grounds maintenance practices related to improving the environmental and sustainability impact of their work. This takes into consideration any legislative, environmental and sustainability directives.
8. Professional Cricket Grounds Team of the Year – A team award highlighting the very best sports turf management at a cricket club applicable to all venues that host events with paying spectators attending. (Minimum of at least 1 First-Class, List A or National County men's or women's fixture)
9. Infinicut Professional Tennis Courts Grounds Team of the Year - A team award highlighting the very best sports turf management at a tennis club or venue. Applicable to those who host tournaments with paying spectators and employ paid full-time grounds staff.
10. Professional Horse Racing Grounds Team of the Year - A team award highlighting the very best sports turf management at a horse racing venue. Applicable to those that host events with paying spectators and grounds staff on a paid and full-time basis.
11. Professional Rugby Football League Grounds Team of the Year - A team award highlighting the very best sports turf management at a rugby league club. Applicable to those on a paid full-time basis that are employed by the club represented and work at the stadium or training ground (or both). A minimum of 10 fixtures is required to enter this award.
12. Professional Rugby Football Union Grounds Team of the Year - A team award highlighting the very best sports turf management at a rugby union club. Candidates should be employed by the rugby union club and work at the stadium or training ground. In addition, this award is open to all rugby union venues that host tournaments with paying spectators attending. A minimum of 10 fixtures is required to enter this award.
13. AMS Robotics Professional Football Grounds Team of the Year (A) - A team award highlighting the very best sports turf management at a football club, outside of the men’s Premier League and Championship in England, and men’s Premier League in Scotland. Applicable to those within the professional leagues in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.
(English Leagues 1 and 2, National League, National League North/South, Scottish Championship and Leagues 1 and 2, Ireland and Wales Professional Leagues, Women’s Super League and Women’s Championship).
14. SGL Professional Football Grounds Team of the Year (B) - A team award highlighting the very best in sports turf management at an elite football venue. The winning team should be paid on a full-time basis as employees of the club, and work at the stadium and/or training ground. The venue must host paying spectators.
(For those that host International, Premier League, Championship and Scottish Premier League fixtures).
15. University/College Grounds Team of the Year – A team award highlighting excellence in the presentation of sports surfaces and green space management at a university or college. This award considers the quality achieved with the available resources.
16. Independent School Grounds Team of the Year – A team award highlighting excellence in the presentation of sports surfaces and green space management at an independent school. This award considers the quality achieved with the available resources.
17. International Impact Award – An individual award highlighting the positive impact made internationally by an individual on their own or within an organisation based either in the UK or abroad.
18. Alex R Millar Award * – A team award applicable to the award winners of the professional categories. An overall winner is selected by the GMA industry awards panel, which recognises outstanding achievement within the professional grounds sector.
Please note that nominations and applications are not accepted for this category.
19. Induction to Hall of Fame – This award honours those who have given great contributions to the groundscare industry. The chosen individual(s) will be inducted during the award ceremony.
*Alex R Millar was national chair of the Grounds Management Association from 1991-1993 and again from 2002 until his passing in 2009. This award has been dedicated to Alex to honour his passion and enthusiasm for the industry. The award will recognise outstanding achievement of an overall winner across the professional categories.
Award: Young Grounds Person of the Year
Origin Amenity Solutions combines the knowledge, experience, product innovation and professionalism of four leading brands, Rigby Taylor, Headland Amenity, Symbio and Turfkeeper. We are proud to support the GMA Industry Awards, which recognises the skill and hard work of individuals within our remarkable industry. Origin Amenity Solutions is committed to the progressive and sustainable future of the amenity industry, investing in product research and development and actively supporting Grounds Professionals of the future. We look forward to SALTEX 2022 and meeting the finalists within the Young Grounds Person Of The Year category.
Award: Volunteer Sports Grounds Team/Individual of the Year
Kubota is a market-leading manufacturer of Engines, Groundcare, Agricultural and Construction Equipment. From powerful tractors to domestic mowers, the Kubota range delivers outstanding performance and reliability; supported by a first-class service from a nationwide network of dedicated, specialist dealers.
Award: Volunteer Sports Grounds Team/Individual of the Year
Redexim manufacture a broad range of machinery for the maintenance of both natural and synthetic sports surfaces, with an ethos of constant evolution and longevity in every machine produced, Redexim products are the solution for many sports facilities. Whether it is a low cost Multisport to spike, roll, rake or brush the pitch or the world-renowned Verti-Drain for soil aeration and de-compaction, there is an option for every facility.
Award: Professional Tennis Courts Grounds Team of the Year
The INFINICUT® range has undeniably proven its credentials with greenkeepers and groundsmen, seeing it become the workstyle choice at leading sporting facilities worldwide. Available in 22”, 26”, 30” and 34” widths, and with a fixed (FX) or floating head (FL), the INFINICUT® cylinder mower features industry-leading cut quality, lithium battery power and CAN bus protocol, making it the world’s first professional Bluetooth mower range - enabling wireless interfacing via the InfiniApp. Extending the INFINICUT® concept is the SM34 Rotary Mower, which delivers millimetre precision adjustment and strong vacuum performance for powerful debris removal and an immaculate finish.
The INFINICUT® can also be transformed into a multi-use maintenance unit via the TMSYSTEM™. Suitable for all golf and sports turf surfaces, the TMSYSTEM™ features 11 cassettes for grooming and various turf maintenance activities.
Award: Professional Football Grounds Team of the Year (A)
Winners of the Saltex 2021 robotics innovation award, the Belrobotics RTK commercial robotic mowers BigMow and ParcMow can manage areas up to 75,000m2, 5-7 times per week. For golf facilities, there is an autonomous ball picker, which works in harmony with the mower to create a completely autonomous driving range maintenance solution. These products are supplied by AMS Robotics throughout the UK in a variety of different locations such as driving ranges, sports pitches, turf farms, stately homes and business premises. Along with the products, AMS provide a complete maintenance and care package solution for the organisation so they can manage their grounds simply and efficiently
Award: Professional Football Grounds Team of the Year (B)
The grass. We all love it. It is a stage for competition, magic and victory. It is where legends are born and dreams become reality; if managed with love, care and the proper tools. That's where SGL comes in. Whether it's collecting detailed pitch data with the best monitoring tools, stimulating grass growth and recovery with our grow lights or maintaining a healthy and disease free turf with our grass care products; we help you set the stage for athletes to write history on. That's our mission. And we do it all for the love of grass.
The Grounds Management Association (GMA) is delighted to announce the names of this year’s panel of judges who will be recognising talent from across the grounds care industry by selecting the winners of the 2022 GMA Industry Awards.
The twelve judges represent a variety of sectors operating in the grounds care industry, and together, will collectively select a winner for each of the nineteen award categories.
Listed alphabetically, the judging panel includes:
- Adrian Kay, Head Groundsman at York Racecourse
- Anthony Facey, Area Sales Manager at Tuckwell Group
- Cheryl Hill, Groundswoman at Leicester Tigers Rugby Club
- David Roberts, Director at Training Unlimited
- Derek Walder, Operations Manager at Saltex
- Jackie Evans, Head of Grounds at Wellington College
- John Wright, Head of Grounds at Southampton Football Club
- Lee Marshallsay, Grounds Manager at Eton College
- Lee Metcalfe, Senior Grounds Manager at Manchester City Football Club
- Nasa Hussain, Head Groundsman and Facilities Manager at Bradford Park Avenue
- Neil Stubley, Head of Courts and Horticulture at the All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club
- Stuart Kerrison, Head Groundsman at Essex County Cricket Club
Those who wish to attend the GMA Industry Awards 2022 can do so by booking a table for celebratory dinner taking place at The Vox, NEC Birmingham, on the evening of Wednesday 2 November (during SALTEX).
Please find table booking information below.
- Table (10 Dinner Spaces): £990
- GMA Members – Individual Ticket: £110
- Non-Members – Individual Ticket: £195
The GMA has partnered with Hotel Smart for special prices linked to SALTEX and the GMA Industry Awards.
Contact: Jo Marshall
Telephone: 01202 533363 – Quote SALTEX 2022
Table booking contact information:
To contact the GMA Industrty Awards team about booking your table, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call them on 01908 552986.